Ratifications or definitive accessions
(March 27th, 1931)
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
(May 9th, 1930)
and all parts of the British Empire which are not separate Members of the League of Nations
Does not include any of His Britannic Majesty's Colonies, Protectorates or Territories under suzerainty or mandate.
(October 14th, 1931 a)
Returns provided for in Article 2, III (B), will not contain information with regard to areas under crops on native farms, and in native reserves, locations and mission stations2.
(August 23rd, 1930 a)
(April 13th, 1932 a)
Does not apply to the territories of Papua and Norfolk Island, New Guinea and Nauru.
(1) The provision under Article 3, Annex I, Part I (b), for separate returns for direct transit trade shall not apply to the Commonwealth of Australia.
(2) The provision under Article 3, Annex I, Part I, Paragraph IV, that when the quantity of goods of any kind is expressed in any unit or units of measure other than weight, an estimate of the average weight of each unit, or multiple of units, shall be shown in the annual returns, shall not apply to the Commonwealth of Australia.
Union of South Africa
(including the mandated territory of South West Africa )
(May 1st, 1930)
(September 15th, 1930)
(May 15th, 1931 a)
A. Under the terms of Article 11, the obligations of the Convention shall not extend to the territories in India of any Prince or Chief under the suzerainty of His Majesty the King Emperor.
B2(1) Article 2. I (a).–The provisions for returns of "transit trade" made in Annex I, Part I, 1 (b) shall not apply to India nor shall returns of the "land frontier trade" of India be required.
(2) Article 2. II (a).–The question whether a general census of agriculture can be held in India and, if so, on what lines and at what intervals still remains to be settled. For the present, India can assume no obligations under this article.
(3) Article 2. III (b). (1).–For farms in the "permanently settled" tracts in India, estimates of the cultivated areas may be used in compiling the returns.
(4) Article 2. III (b). (2).–The returns of quantities of crops harvested may be based on estimates of yield each year per unit area in each locality.
(5) Article 2. III (d).–Complete returns cannot be guaranteed from Burma, and in respect of the rest of India the returns shall refer to Government forests only.
The Government of India further declared that, with regard to the second paragraph of Article 3 of the Convention, they cannot, with the means of investigation at their disposal, usefully undertake to prepare experimentally the specified tables, and that for similar reasons they are not in a position to accept the proposal contained in Recommendation II of the Convention.
(November 29th, 1929)
(November 20th, 1934 a)
(August 17th, 1932 a)
(February 19th, 1931)
(September 9th, 1929)
In pursuance of Article 11, Greenland is excepted from the provisions of this Convention. Furthermore, the Danish Government, in accepting the Convention, does not assume any obligation in respect of statistics concerning the Faroe Islands.
(June 27th, 1930)
(September 23rd, 1938)
(February 1st, 1933)
By its acceptance, France does not intend to assume any obligation in regard to any of its Colonies, Protectorates and Territories under its suzerainty or mandate.
(September 18th, 1930)
(June 11th, 1931)
In accepting the present Convention, Italy does not assume any obligation in respect of her Colonies, Protectorates and other Territories referred to in the first paragraph of Article 11.
(July 5th, 1937)
(April 2nd, 1938 a)
(September 13th, 1932)
This ratification applies only to the territory of the Netherlands in Europe; the Netherlands do not intend to assume, at present, any obligation as regards the whole of the Netherlands overseas territories.
(May 5th, 1933 a)
1. The following shall not be applicable:
(a) The provisions of Article 2, III (E) and V;
(b) The provisions concerning the system of valuations known as "declared values" mentioned in Annex I, Part I, para. II (see Article 3);
(c) Article 3, paragraph 2.
2. The returns mentioned in Article 2. IV, shall apply only to coal, petroleum, natural gas, tin, manganese, gold and silver.
3. The statistics of foreign trade mentioned in Article 3 shall not comprise tables concerning transit.2
(March 20th, 1929)
In accordance with Article 11, the Bouvet Island is excepted from the provisions of the present Convention. Furthermore, in ratifying the Convention, Norway does not assume any obligation as regards statistics relating to the Svalbard.
(July 23rd, 1931)
(October 23rd, 1931)
In accordance with Article 11, the Portuguese Delegation declares on behalf of its Government that the present Convention does not apply to the Portuguese Colonies.
(June 22nd, 1931)
(February 17th, 1930)
(July 10th, 1930)Signatures not yet perfected by ratification
Yugoslavia (former)4Actions subsequent to the assumption of depositary functions by the Secretary-General of the United?Nations